Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's a small world afterall

The wine industry continues to amaze me. I have found a career that enables me to meet the most fantastic people from all over the world. I am hoping it is such a small world that someday I will meet Robert Parker, Harvey Steiman, Kevin Zraly. I have been lucky to meet Dr. Richard Smart and Jancis Robinson.

Tonight was another great example. I stopped by the Willamette Valley Wine Center in McMinnville, and there was a couple lounging on the couch enjoying a glass of wine. The concierge told me that they were in town for the Oregon Wine Symposium and the gentleman was with Auckland University.

Right away I wondered if he knew of Delegat's Oyster Bay. I had helped do a yeast wine trial with Delegat's and Auckland University in 2008. So on my way out I stopped to say hello and we began to chat. It turns out his name is Dr. Matthew Goddard (pictured left) of Auckland University. The same man who set up this yeast trial I had helped run in 2008!

Check out this article, "Yeast adds fruity zing to wine" posted online on the New Zealand Herald: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10499550&pnum=0
Here is a tiny preview of the article: "A wild West Auckland yeast that lifts the fruity zing of New Zealand "sav" has been harnessed by researchers - a find that could revolutionise the country's sauvignon blanc industry. The yeast lifts the gooseberry and passionfruit flavours of New Zealand's esteemed sauvignon blancs, lead researcher Dr Matthew Goddard of Auckland University said, and it was commercially viable.

But one wine expert suggested more fruity zing might be like adding more sugar to Coca-Cola. Commercial trials of the yeast will begin within the next two weeks on a handful of Marlborough vineyards, including Saint Clair, Delegat's and Pernod-Ricard New Zealand." Click the link above for the full article.

Did I tell you I love my job?

No comments: