Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Please don't call me kiddo

Hi my name is Becky Rochester. The next time I meet you at an event or visit your tasting room, please don't call me kiddo. I am 30 years old, know a thing or two about wine and deserve the same treatment and respect you would give to someone who appears older or perhaps looks richer than me.

Too many times, people assume that this customer will purchase more wine than that customer, and most of the time they are wrong. I know. I have been on both sides of this scenario. I have worked in tasting rooms and have been surprised by who purchases cases versus bottles versus not purchasing anything at all. Flat out. You cannot tell!

So treat everyone like they are your best customer. It comes down to one thing--their experience with you at your winery. This experience will determine whether or not they will become a customer for life, a marketer of your wines, a Facebook friend, if they Tweet about you to friends, if they become the mayor of earn a badge for visiting you a lot, if they join your wine club and how much wine they will purchase. A bad experience equals bad memories equals bad marketing by word of mouth equals little or no wine purchased.

Here is the thing. Younger people are drinking wine. They may even know more about wine than the older generations. I am a Generation X, but most of the time I get mistaken for a Millennial. Hey. That is alright with me. I am hip and cool, love to try new things and am always looking for my next adventure.

I don't like to have to follow up my name with a quick summary of my resume, but most of the time I do so people take me seriously. So if you are curious as to what I have been up to over the years, here is a link to About Me: http://iwasbornwithasuitcaseinmyhand.blogspot.com/p/contact-me.html.

Now that I am done venting, I feel a whole lot better. Last weekend I was asked how old I was at least five times. I am a motivated hardworking Midwestern woman who doesn't sit still. So yes. I have accomplished a lot at a young age. Next time someone calls me kiddo, I will call them an old fart.

1 comment:

A blog about... said...

I'm 30 as well and get carded just about every time I try to buy wine at the grocery store. Even buying just a single bottle. Sometimes they even have to call a manager to approve it, and everyone in line behind me just stares at me like I did something wrong. I feel your pain.