Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sometimes life is as simple as a bottle of water

Sometimes life is as simple as a bottle of water. It can change someones day. Today it changed mine.

I was on my way to go grocery shopping at Trader Joe's when I drove by a homeless man and his dog sitting on the corner. This is not the first homeless man with a dog I have seen, but there was definitely something that stood out about this guy. So while I was shopping at Trader Joe's I picked up a couple extra things for him. It wasn't much, but it was something I hoped would brighten up this guy's day. I stopped by the man and his dog, rolled down my window and waved him over. He humbly walked up, and I handed him a ham n' cheese sandwich, a banana, a bottle of water and a giant box of peanut butter dog treats. What happened next cannot be explained in words, but I will never forget the smile on his face and how truly thankful he was. He said to me, 'Thank you! Thank you! I just finished my bottle of water too." To think a 29 cent bottle of water just made this guys day. It made me cry.

This is not the first time I have done something like this, but today it just hit home. It brought me back to reality about what really matters in life...that is making a difference and realizing how lucky I really am. I am lucky to have a roof over my head, job opportunities, amazing family and friends, traveling around the world, good health and the list goes on. No matter what lies ahead, I am going to try even harder to live in the moment and cease opportunities to make a difference in other people's lives.





1 comment:

Chelsea said...

I'm glad you wrote in your blog again. I totally agree with you, making a small gesture can brighten somebody's day up so much and you never know when they really needed it! Good for you!