Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Reposted: lessons from life with comments

Originally posted, May 1, 2009:

Here's what I have learned the past year and a half:

1. Think with your head and not your heart. It is your heart that gets you in trouble and sometimes even makes you fly to Tasmania and back twice!
Obviously I didn't learn from the whole Tasmania experience. I continued to let this man cheat on me and treat me like crap, then have him miss his flight from South Africa, have him rebook his flight and then have him change his mind about moving here altogether and dump me via SKYPE. What have I learned? I deserve better and to walk away no matter how hard it is.

2. Some jobs seem more glamorous then they appear.
Winemaking is fun, but it is hard work. The last thing I ever wanted to do during harvest was to drink wine. It was beer, beer, beer.

3. Having a college degree doesn't mean anything. It's the people you know and the choices you make that matter.
Simply put: It is who you know, not what you know.

4. No matter where you go and for how long, it is always nice to be back home.
Yes. Wisconsin will always be home. No matter where I live, I love going home.

5. If you think you have it bad, remember there are people out there who have it much worse.
Hey life could be worse.

6. Family and friends are the most important things on this earth. Call them, email them and hug them every chance you get.
Without my family and friends (even though you all are scattered around the world) I would not be the person I am today. Thank you for making me stick with it and all the HUGS!

7. Life is short. Make sure you do the things you dream of doing. Travel, take a day off of work just because, laugh, eat ice cream, have a glass of wine.
I try to enjoy each day for what it is. Indulge in life. Because today could be your last day.

8. I am not perfect and never want to be. Life would be boring that way.
I am not afraid to take a chance, and with chances comes failures and successes and sometimes really good stories and laughter.

9. With each door that closes a new one opens. You just have to be patient. (Something I am working on.)
Wisconsin to Philadelphia. Philadelphia to Wisconsin. Wisconsin to California. California to Wisconsin. Wisconsin to Chicago. Chicago to New Zealand. New Zealand to Australia. Australia to Wisconsin. Wisconsin to California. California to Wisconsin. Wisconsin to South Africa. South Africa to Wisconsin. Wisconsin to Tasmania. Tasmania to Chicago. Chicago to Tasmania. Tasmania to California to Oregon to Wisconsin. Wisconsin to Oregon. PHEW!

10. That I don't know what life has in store for me next. But if it is anything like the past 28 years, then bring it on. Life is an adventure. Jump on board.
Well, now I am 29 and it life keeps getting more and more interesting. I cannot wait to see what 2010 has to offer. Bring it on!

1 comment:

Brittany Wooten said...

You're amazing and I couldn't help but smile when reading this. These words are so true and I feel like I am going through the same things you did. Thank you for being such a huge inspiration in my life Becky! You will never know how grateful I am.