Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Grape Stomp Day #1

Oh boy. What a day. Today I put my gumboots back on. I know what you're thinking...are you doing another harvest? Nope. Not this time. It's Grape Stomp at Willamette Valley Vineyards. It is a day to celebrate the harvest and have a good time. Our guests have three minutes to stomp the grapes and the team with the most juice proceeds to the final heat at the end of the day. The winner from Saturday competes against the winner from Sunday. The team who wins gets an all expense paid trip to Napa Valley to compete in the world championship grape stomp competition. Lucky!!!

After a slow start due to rain, traffic jams caused by Ducks and Beavers (college football fans that is on the way to the games) and a car accident on I-5 temporarily shutting it down, Day #1 of Grape Stomp at Willamette Valley Vineyards was a smashing success. There were lots of great costumes (pictures coming soon). The weather cleared up and it was just about as perfect as a day as one could wish for. My final task of the evening was hosing down and cleaning up the crush pad to prepare for tomorrow's stomp. It brought me back to the days of working harvest in Tasmania and California. Gosh...I miss the cellar.

No comments: