Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Getting Back to the Wine

I have been so busy at work that I have lost focus of what I truly love: wine. Today I am excited because I don't have to do anything. I have enjoyed sleeping in (10 whole hours of sleep), cleaned my apartment, went to the gym, got the oil changed in my truck, cooked and now I am going to read magazines and wine books. It is raining outside so I don't feel guilty about spending the day inside being lazy.

I have been living in Oregon for almost four months now. It is hard to believe how quickly time flies and the amount of changes that can occur during such a short period of time. I am still deciding if this is the right place for me. I need to give it some more time to see how everything unfolds. The hardest part is being away from my family and friends. Luckily I have a few visitors coming to visit over the next few weeks.

Harvest is about to start, and all the interns are arriving in the valley. I am jealous. I want to wear my gumboots again. I never imagined it would be so hard to let that lifestyle go. I thought I was ready to work a 9-5 job and dress up again, but there is a huge part of me that loves the excitement and hard work in the cellar. Not to mention it is a (H-E-double hockey sticks) of a lot less stressful.

Want to know how small of a world the wine industry is? Last weekend while winetasting at Domaine Drouhin I met an intern from New Zealand. H knew Gus. No last names needed. I worked with Gus at Oyster Bay. I will keep you up to date with harvest information. Right now we are just prepping the cellar so we are ready for fruit intake. The fruit is still ripening and has a little ways to go. Well, time to get back to enjoying a glass of wine while I read about wine. What a life!

No comments: