Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

My first brewing assignment

In February, I received a call from Brewmaster Cam at Deschutes. Although my internship doesn't begin until September, he wanted to know if I was interested in helping out on a special brewing assignment. I am always up for adventure, so of course I was in.

I met one of the brewers, Eric Moore, at the brewery at 8:00 AM for departure to Maragas Winery. I know what you are thinking. Winery? Hold on. The story is just beginning. Bend may be bursting with breweries, but there are a few wineries and distilleries in the area as well.

Sunshine, snow capped mountains and a bone chilling 19 degrees, greeted us when we arrived at the winery about 35 minutes later. My first Oregon crush in February. February? Yes. February and I am not even in New Zealand!

Our mission: destemming and crushing 2 tons of 2012 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir into 5 gallon buckets. These grapes were harvested in 2012 and frozen in picking bins like the ones pictured below.

Deschutes Brewery is celebrating their 25th anniversary this year. They have teamed up with a few other breweries who are also celebrating their 25th anniversary to do a special Class of '88 Collaboration Series.

These grapes will be part of a special collaboration beer between Deschutes Brewery in Bend, OR and Goose Island in Chicago, IL. Having lived in both of these cities makes it that more special. This beer is a combination of a Belgium-Style Strong Golden Ale aged in Muscat barrels with Riesling juice and Pinot noir must. It will be out at the end of the year.










The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams.
Oprah Winfrey


All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. -Walt Disney

No comments: