Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Right up my alley



I am officially a member of the Central Oregon Beer Angels which is a group of women who love all things beer. This seems right up my alley. Speaking of alleys...

Did I ever mention that I grew up in a bowling alley? Well, I did. Kind of. My grandparents, Carol and Ray Lee, owned two bowling alleys in Wisconsin. Along with the bowling alley there was a bar and restaurant at each. Showboat Lanes was a place for the locals to gather, have a drink and socialize. My Grandpa and Grandma put me to work at a very young age. Grandpa taught me how to use the cash register and how to make change properly by counting it back to the customer. He made sure that I put all the bills facing the same way in the register and it something I still do to this day. I was also responsible for sanitizing the returned bowling shoes and tying them together, shining the flashlight for moonlight bowling when someone had a striped headpin and conditioning the lanes with the fancy plugged in machine. I have a lot of fond memories at the bowling alley.

I started bowling as a child too. I even had a bowling coach. She taught me how many steps to take, where to throw the ball and how to pick up spares. I made it to state a few times and won some tournaments. There is even a box full of bowling trophies somewhere in my parents basement to prove it. Bowling was something we did as a family. As I got older, I did not take bowling as serious. You can check out this video of my wicked bowling moves. Note: I was a pitcher for softball.



Sometimes I wonder why I am so lucky to have found a career that I love so much. It has not been without challenges, but then again what in life is? Sometimes we need to ask ourselves if we are working to live or living to work. While most people find themselves waking up each morning to the sound of an annoying alarm clock for a job that they hate, I have been blessed to enjoy most days doing what I do. And for that, I consider myself lucky.

My work with the Wisconsin Grape Growers Association has come to an end. So now what? Great question. There are lots of irons in the fire. Just like in the past, I know that whatever is meant to be will be. That doesn't mean I won't be stressed or excited about the possibilities. Usually I like change. But eventually, you find a place you can call home and hope that this is the last time you have to unpack your suitcase.

No comments: