Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

R Little Vineyard 2010 harvest

Established in 2006, R Little Vineyard is located in Stoddard, WI. The Rochester family specializes in growing cold climate varietals.
Harvest is right around the corner at R Little Vineyard in Stoddard, Wisconsin. That is right! We grow grapes in Wisconsin. The first vineyard was planted in 2005. And no, I did not get into the wine industry because my family has a vineyard and makes wine. My parents actually got into planting a vineyard and making wine because of me.

All of the grapes we grow are sold to two different Wisconsin wineries. Right now the grapes are hitting between 12-17 degrees Brix. Most of the varieties in the vineyard are targeted to be picked between 16-24 degrees Brix. The bird netting is on and now we just wait. Wisconsin is looking at a record season of rainfall and extreme hot temperatures. This can provide quite the challenge. These last few weeks are important and we can lose the entire crop to one storm.

My family plans to open up R Little Winery in 2012 or whenever my dad retires. I must say that he is making some pretty remarkable cold climate wines already. I am so proud of my parents for what they have accomplished and that they join me in my passion for the wine industry.

Check out R Little Vineyard website (still under contstruction) at http://www.rlittlevineyard.com/.
Cheers.

Boots


No comments: