Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Where's Becky Boots?

DMACC Wine Science Class
I am back! Back from the Midwest that is. Probably one of the best trips home ever. Spent most of my time in Iowa. Wednesday afternoon I departed Portland airport and headed East to Iowa. Des Moines, Iowa. The trip started out great when I checked in and they upgraded me to first class! Ha! See I knew flying from Chicago to Tasmania and then two weeks later Tasmania to Chicago, then one day later Chicago to Tasmania would pay off.

Thursday night I attended the Mid-American Wine Competition Wine Tasting where I was a guest speaker. What a great time. I spoke about my how Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) influenced me to quit my job in California and just move to New Zealand and work as a Vintage Cellar Hand. Hey, it all worked out just fine. I was the first DMACC intern and hope that there are many more to come. I spent three days in Iowa for Residential School for Wine Science. My classmates and I worked at Snus Hill Vineyard and Winery doing lab analysis, sulfur additions, a little bit of classroom work followed by our final exam.


I met some of the most inspiring people in the Midwest wine industry and tasted some fantastic wines. I also had the opportunity to stomp ground in the Wisconsin national sales area. I was able to make some Willamette Valley Vineyards wine placements throughout Wisconsin as well.


There a quite a few more stories to tell about my trip, and I will tell them over the next few days. Let me just reemphasise of how small of a world it really is.


Good night!


Becky Boots

No comments: