Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sweet As Bro

Picture of Me, Andries and Gabrielle
As the kiwi's say life is "sweet as bro!" here in New Zealand. Translation for "sweet as bro" is rather good, great or cool. I cannot believe that I left Chicago almost one month ago.

I just finished my second week at Delegat's. The grapes haven't been harvested yet, so there hasn't been much vintage work to do at the winery. Wednesday we found out our shifts and job assignments. I was assigned the white cellars position for vintage so I will be working with Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc grapes. This week I have cleaned barrels--this entails dumping the lees, washing them out with water, steam cleaning them, wiping them with sulfur, scrubbing off stickers and putting sulfur water in them. Other than that I learned how to setup and clean tanks, scrubbed the floors, bagged sulfur additions, cleaned the boiler room floor and did lots of walking around and socializing.

Wednesday night we had a pre-vintage party at the beach. We drank some beer and wine, played soccer, rubgy and cricket and had a BBQ. It was really fun.

This week the grapes will start to arrive, so we begin our real shifts. I am working the 7 PM to 7 AM shift. I am really excited because when I get off work I will be able to have some day light hours to enjoy. I also get to work with Gabrielle, the other woman in my house. We are going to have a lot of fun!!!

This weekend was fantastic! Friday our house finally got WI-FI hooked up so later this week you can expect some pictures. Friday night I attended a party at one of the other vintage houses in Blenheim. Saturday I got a ride into town to do some major grocery shopping. I was in heaven! It is a 20 minute drive to the nearest real grocery store. I stocked up on so much food because our little grocery store here in Renwick is comparable to shopping for groceries at Walgreens. I spent the entire day eating, uploading pictures online and relaxing. Today five of us went for a bike ride and did some wine tasting in our area. It was sunny and beautiful.

All of my headaches have disappeared and I feel great! I have learned that I need to relax a bit more and enjoy my free time more. I miss everyone a lot and will have more stories to post later this week.

Love,
Becky

No comments: