Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hoping to have a "brilliant" time in Europe

Traveling is one of my favorite things to do. The last time I was in Europe was 1999. It was the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of college, and I had decided to study abroad for the summer in Lüneburg, Germany. Study abroad after only one semester of German class at UW-La Crosse. I packed two giant suitcases and departed for Germany.

With my German language book in hand, I landed in Hamburg and had to find the train to take me closer to the University. I didn't know how to or where to purchase a ticket for the train, so I just hopped on. I would later find out that if someone had come through to check tickets, I would have received a hefty fine for not having a ticket. The train arrived in Lüneburg, and I grabbed my two giant suitcases and pulled them off. Two flights of stairs awaited me. No elevators. I grabbed one suitcase and lugged it up the stairs.  Then I sprinted down the stairs to get the other one. Ah! I must have looked very American.

I hailed a taxi to the University and arrived early for check in. I didn't know where to go or who to meet. So I just sat outside with my suitcases. I was tired and experiencing major culture shock. I phoned my mother and was in tears. When I got off the phone another student had arrived. We hung out until everyone else had arrived and got our housing assignments. I was going to live with three German students in an apartment. I unpacked and settled in. The summer studying in Germany was amazing. I promised myself I would come back to travel around Europe, and 13 years later I am.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

We are off to London on Sunday, so I decided to brush up on some British slang and phrases. Are we going to have a good time? Absobloodylootely! There will be no taking the piss. Blimey! It is going to be the bee's knee's of a trip. So Bob's your uncle!
  1. Cock-up – Screw up
  2. Bloody – Damn
  3. Give You A Bell – Call you
  4. Blimey! – My Goodness
  5. Wanker – Idiot
  6. Gutted – Devastated
  7. Chuffed – Proud
  8. Fancy – Like
  9. Sod Off – Piss off
  10. Lost the Plot – Gone Crazy
  11. Fortnight – Two Weeks
  12. Sorted – Arranged
  13. Kip – Sleep or nap
  14. Bee’s Knees – Awesome
  15. Know Your Onions – Knowledgeable
  16. Dodgy – Suspicious
  17. Wonky – Not right
  18. Wicked – Cool!
  19. Tad – Little bit
  20. Skive – Lazy or avoid doing something
  21. Quid – £
  22. Taking the Piss – Screwing around
  23. Pissed – Drunk
  24. Loo – Toilet
  25. Nutter – Crazy Person
  26. Knackered – Tired
  27. Gobsmacked – Amazed
  28. Dog’s Bollocks – Awesome
  29. Chap – Male or friend
  30. Bugger – Jerk
  31. Bog Roll – Toilet Paper
  32. Bob’s Your Uncle – There you go!
  33. Anti-Clockwise – We Say Counter Clockwise
  34. Throw a Spanner in the Works – Screw up
  35. Absobloodylootely – YES!
  36. Nosh – Food
  37. Shambles – Mess
  38. Brilliant! – Great!
  39. Dog’s Dinner – Dressed Nicely
  40. Easy Peasy – Easy
  41. See a Man About a Dog – Do a deal or take a dump
  42. Fit – Hot
  43. Don’t Get Your Knickers in a Twist – Don’t Get worked up
  44. The Telly – Television
  45. Cheerio – Goodbye
  46. Bits ‘n Bobs – Various things
  47. I’m Off to Bedfordshire – Going to bed
  48. Plastered – Drunk
  49. It`s monkeys outside – it is very cold
  50. Ace – Cool!

Stay tuned for more posts and pics from our trip. Cheerio!

No comments: