Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Challenge yourself

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." Joshua J. Marine

The words above pretty much sum up my entire Oregonian weekend. There are so many times in life when I choose not to do something because it is uncomfortable or scary. Then I look back and wish I would have done it, but it is too late. I have made excuses like having to work, not having enough money or thinking I would just do it another time. What I have realized is that the time is now.

This weekend I had an opportunity to go skiing at Willamette Pass. In all actuality, I really just wanted to go up to see the snow, read a magazine and watch everyone else ski and snowboard from inside the warm bar area. My friend, Brent, persuaded me otherwise. Before I knew it, I had ski boots on my feet and poles in my hands. I warned him that I was a horrible skier. But what he did not know was that I was absolutely terrified of skiing. Well, absolutely terrified of the chairlift!

You see I have only skied twice in my life and that was over 10 years ago at Mt. LaCrosse. The second time doesn't really count either, because after only two runs and a wicked wipe out I gave up and sat inside by the fire. So here I am, 29 years old, staring at the chairlift and scared. I take a deep breath and clumsily make my way to board the lift. Huh, that was easy. As we ride to the top and I jokingly ask Brent what happens if you miss getting off? Do you just ride the lift all the way down and back up again? He laughs and says I will be fine.

We reach the top and in front of us is a mother and a young girl about age five or so. They get off easily. Hey if they can do it, then so can I. We are next. I lean forward and oops I hesitate one second too long. Yep. You guessed it. I missed the exit. I can hear the guys behind me say, "I've never seen that happen before." They obviously don't know me then! The chairlift operator stops the lift and I jump off and walk around to where I should have originally jumped off in the first place. I glide down the hill with my head held high and laugh. At this point, that is all I can do. I wonder if Brent is thinking that bringing me up here is a huge mistake.

I make it down the hill slowly, but without falling. I am scared at first but then it starts to get fun. The second time I go up the lift, the operator slows it down so I can jump off and down I go like a pro. Easy! After that I am not afraid anymore. The rest of the day on the hill is fantastic! There is fresh powder, the sun is shining and I cruise down the hill...back and forth, back and forth. I don't even fall. I conquered one of my biggest fears and challenged myself to step outside my comfort zone. I appreciate that someone was able to make me realize that something I thought was impossible was actually not impossible at all.

Sincerely,

Becky "Never seen that happen before" Rochester

No comments: