Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

How Long Before I Can Call Myself A Local?

Greetings friends! You will be happy to hear that I finally have a permanent residence in the USA. My new home is in Sherwood, Oregon. 15 miles from Portland and in the Willamette Valley Wine Region (Pinot Noir country). My mother and I left Wisconsin on Thursday afternoon and arrived here on Saturday. I am living in a brand new 2 bedroom apartment and loving it.

Today is Thursday, May 21st and I am all unpacked and waiting anxiously for a job offer. This week I had four interviews! Yes. Four. All of them went well and I even had a second interview for one winery. The biggest weakness that they find with my resume is that I am not a local. The thing is that I already interviewed for a job here a few weeks ago and was one of the two final candidates. The only reason I didn't get the job was because the other woman was a local. Since that was the only thing stopping me from getting the job, I quickly found a place to live, packed up my stuff and drove cross country so I could begin my journey of becoming a local.

So how long does it actually take to become a local? I have started going to Starbucks every morning and ordering a carmel latte with an extra shot. Am I a local the day they remember my name without me telling them? Or maybe it is the day when I walk into my favorite wine bar and the bartender asks me if I want, "The usual?"

I am not sure what it will take for me to become a local. Don't you know, I am from Wisconsin and always will be. I can live here and become accustomed to the wines and the culture but deep down I will always be a Midwest girl.

No comments: