Pages

Saturday, May 24, 2008

I Was Born With A Suitcase In My Hand

Okay. So I get bored easily. Whether it is a job, food, relationships or life in general, it seems that I always need more. I think I was born with a suitcase in my hand. I am constantly on the go--living on the East Coast, West Coast, back to the Midwest and now overseas. After three months in New Zealand I am starting to grow tired of the Kiwi South Island lifestyle. It is slower paced than Chicago and the food is awful. Today I had my first gourmet meal--salmon with potatoes and mango salsa. YUMMY! It was a breath of fresh air. Every day for lunch I eat canned tuna and crackers because I don't know what else to eat. The canned tuna here is really good. There are many different flavors so I don't grow tired of it. The flavors range from sweet thai chili, ginger and lemon, tomato and basil and olives, lemon pepper, salsa and many more. I am hoping that as I travel around the rest of New Zealand, I will find that it is more culturally evolved than this rural area.

Today I went winetasting with Christian, Gabby and Andries. We went to Lawson's, Wither Hills, Villa Maria and Allan Scott. I tasted some great Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer, Late Harvest Riesling, Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blancs. The weather has been fantastic this weekend. Crisp fall days filled with sunshine and a light breeze. It is so nice to have weekends free again. I am spending a lot of time doing nothing and it actually feels great! I did my laundry yesterday. Let me remind you that dryers are not common here so you have to hang your clothes outside to dry. It is tough during the fall and winter months so I hung up a few articles of clothing inside and put my mini heater on full blast to dry them. This took me the full day to dry a load of clothes.

Check out my pictures from today's winetasting adventure. Cheers!

No comments: